We join up with Ortolan

Our first in water view

We missed launch day, but arrived at  Broad Cove Marina 2 days later for our first time afloat & our first time sleeping aboard. Launch day happened to coincide with our 20th wedding anniversary so we had plenty to celebrate.
After unloading the packed-full Explorer, we set about to perform the all important naming ceremony and thus, christened Ortolan with enough bubbly while still leaving plenty for us.
Lunch was a delicious surprise of hot lobster rolls smuggled in by Russ and obtained from Lobster Landing in Clinton, CT- they are delicious (the lobster must be from Maine) and the rolls are unlike any other.
Dick met us at 3pm, filled up the water tanks (136 gals) and gave us a tour of electronics, switches and all sorts of foreign-sounding stuff that we need to learn and remember.
We took a very short jaunt from the dock to the mooring, with a flawless performance by Captain Russ and Dick got us snug on in no time. The weather was still cooperating, so after a dinghy run, we applied the name and hailing port to the portside stern steps, taking the requisite plethora of photos.
We prepped for a chilly night; the forecast called for cold, rainy and the same for Saturday with extra wind added for good measure. Personally, I was happy that we did not know the temperature, but we were prepared with several blankets, multiple clothing layers and plenty of hot food and beverages.
A tasty and favorite breakfast of coconut french toast was memorably enjoyed in the galley, using the corner of the queen bunk for a table.
Russ picked up Dick at the dock at 9am and we motored down the Medomak a short ways, deftly avoiding lobster pots and enjoying the rare sighting of a seal “porpoise-ing” close by. We decided it was likely a seal that Russ saw very early in the morning, gliding through the water.
Once securely back on our mooring, it was time for the dinghy drill; affectionately named thus during our Abaco Maine Cat charter. The process is no less than 10 carefully orchestrated steps designed to align and hoist the dinghy on to its form fitting chocks by means of a bridle and various maneuvers that I can’t begin to name, but will soon know like the back of my hand. Practice will make perfect.
The weather deteriorating and with no way to ward off the cold, we decided to pack up and head home. This would be accomplished by only one trip in with the dinghy and by not leaving it at the dock unattended until our return.  How did we do it?  The Captain is known for planning ahead, so…. we brought our inflatable kayak and Russ used it to get from the boat to the dock. Lucky move, as the marina was deserted. Did I mention it’s a working marina, not one of pleasure boats, but a fair amount of lobster boats.

Please share any thoughts or questions.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s