Laughing Gulls

A blonde, brunette and redhead were walking along the beach, when a seagull flies over and craps all over the blonde. The brunette says in a disgusted voice “hang on, the restrooms are just up the hill, I’ll go get some toilet paper.”

After she leaves the blonde begins to laugh. The redhead asks “what’s so funny ?”

The blonde says “well, blondes are supposed to be so dumb and look at her, by the time she gets back with the toilet paper that seagull will be miles away!”

gulls on dock

Who will get the last laugh??

Could be the joke’s on us, but the dock we had for two days was about 60 feet away from Sea Gull dock, so named by me for the flock that called it home.  I had ample time to observe what were mostly Laughing Gulls, go about their daily routine.  We did take time out to walk the 1.2 miles to Food Lion, which took us through Old Towne, another historic area. Isn’t it great how the historic sections are so close to the waterfront?  Laundry, baking and other boat chores managed to get done, but we did a fair amount of lounging about.
The gulls had a set routine. When they weren’t laughing- and boy it was loud and raucous, they paraded around, males trying to impress females. Around mid-day they all, as if by prior agreement, left the dock and began a group water bob. Not sure the purpose for floating about in the water, but at least they were quiet. Later in the afternoon was a quiet time on the dock, but throughout the day not only did they laugh heartily, they mated. ‘Tis the season when a gull’s fancy turns to courtship. Brief, very brief.  A few head to head nods and bobs, some beak rubs and forget the ring. What caught my attention was the change in tune; a distinctly different sound met my ears and well, I was looking out that way anyway.
In addition to the Laughing Gulls, we had a seemingly endless song of sirens; fire, rescue and police. This was not the quiet marina I remembered from our stop in October. Oh, and the navy choppers flew over at least 4 times a day- low.
When we weren’t spying on sea-gull behavior and lounging about, we (mostly Russ) checked the weather several times daily and planned our BIG trip. Thirty-six hours would take us from Norfolk (would move to an anchorage 13 miles closer) to Sandy Hook, NJ. The wind and waves needed to be right at both ends and Sunday looked like the day. Any special plans for Easter you might ask? Yep, hopping up the coast, the wind and waves at our stern and our sails filled as much as possible.
Thursday afternoon we moved to Point Comfort, 13 miles closer to the Chesapeake and Cape Henry which we would pass to Port and swing north up along the Virginia, Maryland, Delaware and New Jersey coasts, before turning in at Sandy Hook Monday BEFORE sunset.
I worked on the dinghy chaps that now look like something, but still need hemming and a few adjustments.  We ordered a roll of light gray Textilene fabric to make sun shades for the sides and stern while at the dock this summer. The fabric is light weight and offers sun protection and some privacy. We’re talking rectangles here; my part for once will be easy.
Saturday afternoon was prep for departure time; we cleaned, stowed and yes, checked the weather too.  Our course was plotted in the chartplotter and our ETA for Sandy Hook was 5:30pm Monday. That gave us plenty of wiggle room (also known as sail slow vs motor) to arrive and drop the hook by 7:30pm

Please share any thoughts or questions.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s