After our unscheduled (but successful!) haul-out & repairs, it was finally time to shove off & have some fun! While we knew we’d be constantly running away from Covid-19, little did we know that there would be more!
As you may have guessed, our next running-away decision was Tropical Storm Isaias on it’s way north. We almost kept to our plan for a marina stay in New Bedford, Massachusetts as they have a hurricane barrier they close to protect their harbor from large storms. However, with possible 40 – 50 knot winds, we decided not to take the chance as the harbor is fairly wide so waves can still build-up within the harbor.
Since we had planned on returning to our slip in Deep River, CT in a week anyway, we just headed right back. Did we make the right decision?
Well …. no. Tropical Storm Isiasis veered west, missing New Bedford by 100 miles, but passing just west of Deep River giving us the higher winds. With gusts to only 55 knots & well secured in our slip, it wasn’t that bad at all … until we listened to the news & walked out from the marina. Trees down everywhere with the 2nd largest loss of power in recent CT history!
We were originally going to wait it out at the marina, but it gets hot without A/C & we don’t want to run our generator constantly. Plus, the docks were without water & we couldn’t exactly use our watermaker to make our own, as further north on the Connecticut River there was a massive raw sewage discharge (thanks Holyoke, MA). So off to Greenport, NY for water, groceries & laundry. Be back in a few days when the power is restored??